One Little Word

I am determined to follow my One Little Word (OLW) for the year (for more info see One Little Word). I plan to register for the One Little Word workshop on Big Picture Scrapbooking this month. I have registered for a workshop @ Simplify 101 called "How to achieve your goals and live a life you love". All this in order to keep present and follow my word. At first I thought my word would be CONNECT and it was - for a day. It spoke to me but the definition was too narrow to encompass what I want for this year. So now you are wondering - what the heck is this word?!

CULTIVATE. That is my word for 2011. How will this word manifest itself? As soon as I read this word I pictured it in all major areas of my life - building relationships, learning about business, growing in health and fitness, making memories and then documenting them, cultivating joy in life moments both small and big, finding joy in my work whether that means my current job or a new job or a new business venture. In a nutshell cultivating relationships, health, memories, joy and learning.

Do you know what the definition of cultivate is? I thought I did so I didn't look it up until just now, while writing in my blog, and boy am I glad I did. I've copied the most relevant definitions from dictionary.com.

cul.ti.vate - verb, used with object (-va.ted, -va.ting)
3. to promote or improve the growth of (a plant, crop etc.) by labour and attention
5. to develop or improve by education or training; train, refine: to cultivate a singing voice
6. to promote the growth or development of (an art, science, etc.); foster.
7. to devote oneself to (an art, science etc.)
8. to seek to promote or foster (friendship, love etc.)
9. to seek the acquaintance or friendship of (a person).

Number 3 is in there because I liked that it indicated improvement by "labour and attention". A reminder to myself that this will require effort - something of late that I have been lacking. I see it building slowly - like farming a crop. You plant the word, water it, feed it and watch it slowly grow from a little seedling into something that can be harvested. I don't think that this will happen in just one year but I'm hoping that by the end of the year it will resemble something like a little seedling.

Comments

Popular Posts